CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my dog has a hard lump on the left jaw under chin she has had

my dog has a hard lump on the left jaw under chin she has had it for about a month now..she eats normal drinks plays we try squeezing it doesnt seem to bother her its really hard kina feels like bone,..she is 10 months old and we have been to the vet and have given her antibiotics..next solution is xrays and biopsy what can this be
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is it in the front under the chin OR under the ear area of the chin?

Customer:

it isnt at the front nor near the ear its in the middle right on her left jaw bone when we tilt her head back we see it and also when shes looking sidewas we see it underneath its just about a golfball size

CriticalCareVet :

Is it truly hard, such as bone, or just firm?

Customer:

its hard like bone

Customer:

doesnt seem to bother her when we squeeze

CriticalCareVet :

At this age, a tumor itself would be unlikely.

Customer:

yes shes 10 months

CriticalCareVet :

If it is bone, it can be a benign bone spur off the bone itself.

Customer:

so you mean could be the bone growing off

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - that would be possible.

CriticalCareVet :

Or this can be a benign growth, firm in nature, but not truly bone

Customer:

its weird beacuse she didnt have this when she was younger

Customer:

is it is bone do you think it will grow bigger

CriticalCareVet :

That unfortunately can not be predicted.

CriticalCareVet :

Often - there is a growth, but it stays static - unchanged.

Customer:

will xrays accuse it

CriticalCareVet :

An x-ray is a good start.

Customer:

because they have her scheduled for xrays and biopsy..

CriticalCareVet :

An aspirate or biopsy may be needed to truly make the diagnosis.

Customer:

do you think the biopsy is needed if xrays find the problem..because we have spent thousand on her so far shes always getting infections yeast and bacterial and now this lump

CriticalCareVet :

No - if an X-ray makes the diagnosis - your vet may not want the biopsy.

Customer:

if it is bone do you think surgery would be needed

CriticalCareVet :

Not unless growing.

Customer:

my husband and i hought is its bone and they predict it will not bother her that we would just leave it what do you suggest

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - unless growing - they may recommend benign neglect...AKA watching and waiting.

Customer:

I hope it is just that.. i feel like instaed of them getting to the bottom of something they would rather give antibiotics and many visits wich costs$$$ instaead of running tests straight from the beginning to find out what it is

CriticalCareVet :

I can understand your concern as well as the plan,notably a tumor itself would be quite uncommon at this age.

Customer:

have you heard of this sorda thing before the hard jaw lump my vet has never seen anything like it

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - and often it is benign and left alone.

Customer:

ok well thank you ..

Customer:

you have answered my question to your best knowledge i atleast have a better understanding until her next appointment

CriticalCareVet :

Glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist