Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

My dogs stomach seems bloated and hard. She is less energetic

Customer Question

My dog's stomach seems bloated and hard. She is less energetic than usual and will not try to jump off the couch, or beg to be picked up like normal. Her appetite is normal and she is drinking and peeing. I gave her gas-x. She seems to be gassy lately. I had another dachshund that we put down because his stomach twisted.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 2 years ago.

Theresa :

Have you noticed an increase in drinking an urination over the last few months?

Theresa :

Has there been a recent food change?

Theresa :

Any vomiting or wretching?

Theresa :

If your dachshunds stomach was twisted I wouldn't expect her to continue to eat. Is there any chance she may have eaten too much today? Or gotten into a bag of food?

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

No vomiting or wretching. Only food change is we changed from beneful wet food to nutrish. I have not noticed in increase in either drinking or urination.

Theresa :

My concern is that her stomach is tense and her back is painful. Dogs will hold their abdomen tight when their backs hurt.

Theresa :

Also, it is common to see a decline in activity and being less willing to be picked up or jump from furniture as a result of back pain.

Theresa :

If you were to pick her up from her stomach she may cry out because it puts pressure on her spine.

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

I've been very careful picking her up

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

What do I need to do?

Theresa :

It doesn't have anything to do with you at this point. It is just that she knows that it will hurt.

Theresa :

I would force rest on her for tonight. If you have a crate then that would be ideal or keeping her in an area where she doesn't have to climb stairs, jump up on furniture or off, etc. Carry her from in front of her front legs and behind her rear legs to take her potty and try to prevent any unnecessary movement.

Theresa :

Tomorrow I suggest contacting your vet for pain medication and anti inflammatories.

Theresa :

If at any time she seems to have trouble walking, urinating, or cannot use her rear legs then she should be seen by an emergency vet or your vet immediately.

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

Ok. I lost one dachsy to bloat, the other to back problems. Shes my last one and I'd hate to have either happen to her.

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

Are there any meds I might have at home that I can give to ease her?

Theresa :

The gas x won't hurt her but I would withhold food until you see your vet tomorrow as there could be other issues that are causing her pain like pancreatitis. Keep an eye on her. You seem to have caught it early so getting her on anti inflammatories me decrease the odds for her having to have any surgery.

Theresa :

I wouldn't recommend any medications from home at this point because your vet may want to give her meds that won't be able to be given if she had taken anything from home.

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

Ok.

Theresa :

Is there anything else you would like assistance with tonight?

JACUSTOMER-svdbxc1x- :

I do not believe so. Thank you for the reassurance.

Theresa :

No problem. I will send you a follow up to see how things turned out. I hope that she feels better soon.

Theresa :

Theresa