Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

will neutering a 6 year old dog help to decrease his aggressiveness? He has had several e

will neutering a 6 year old dog help to decrease his aggressiveness? He has had several episodes of biting our other male dog- not nipping- seriously injuring our other dog. He is very well behaved and trained, but gets set off by virtually nothing and attacks our more timid dog. We're hoping fixing him may help, but is this just a waste of money or is there a chance it will help the situation?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. There is a very good chance that this could help. My reducing the blood levels of testosterone, it can help with some of this behavior. Keep in mind, he still may be a dominant dog and have a slightly aggressive personality so some of the behaviors could still exist but at much less frequent and intense level.
It is also important to understand that it takes a few months for the hormone levels to drop so you may not see immediate results.
As a Brittany owner, I would also mention you are doing the right thing by trying to exercise a lot of this behavior out of him. Once recovered from surgery, I would continue to do this not only for his behavior, but also for the fact that his metabolism may slow a bit so to keep him fit, these long walks and runs will be necessary. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Aside from getting him neutered- are there any other suggestions you have in terms of training and other behavior changes that I should be doing to help with this situation?
Certainly, the exercise you are doing is a great place. It can also help to positively reinforce all of the good behaviors with praise,, treats, etc are vital. If he is not behaving you will need to let him know that those behaviors are not acceptable. Certainly, if the other dogs are doing things that set him off, keep a close eye out for those, so you can intervene before things escalate. Because they are in the same household, it will be hard to stop many of the quarrels, but separating for a few days and then reintroducing them could help. However, it some cases, it could make things worse if he decides he needs to reestablish his dominance.
This breed is so intense, many will use medication to take the edge off. I am not a huge fan of this and suggest that neutering is a much more reliable and safer way to address some of these issues.
I hope this helps.