Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I think my dog either broke or sprained his tail. What would

I think my dog either broke or sprained his tail. What would a vet do to treat a broke/sprained tail and should I pay the extra money to take him to the emergency clinic?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear your boy is having some trouble.

Can you tell me what he is doing that makes you think he hurt his tail?

Are there any lumps or swelling in the tail?

What breed is he?

Any swimming or baths in the last day?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was outside and I am going to grow some grass and have a temp fence up. I was inside and I heard a dog crying so I went out side and he was sitting weird, I picked him up and brought him inside so I can look at him better. I can touch his legs, paws, back with no issue but the moment I squeezed within an inch or so of where the tail meets the back he cried out again. He does keep doing this weird thing where he tenses up his stomach and stretches out his back legs for a few seconds. Which is why I'm a little more concerned. He can walk and jump up on the couch but when my other dog bumped his back end he cried out again. Right now he's next to me on his back so I can pet his belly but he is still tensing and stretching. He is an all american mutt but when I did the breed dna test he is a schnauzer, american statford terrier, golden retriever, pappiilon, keeshound mix. He is about 35-40lbs. He had a bath last week and there are no noticable lumps or swelling in the tail.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information .

If he also cried when he was bump I would be suspicious of a possible injury to the lower spine at the base of the tail . Stretching the legs out and tensing the stomach can also be a sign of a back pain as well as abdominal pain .

Another possible cause is a condition called cold tail or limber tail. This most commonly happens after swimming or bathing in cold water but can happen for unknown reason as well.
Click here for more on this

With having heard a yelp I would also check the tail area for any type of wound

Without having him seen by a vet and having x rays done of the tail and spine it is impossible to say what the actual problem is

I would keep an eye on him tonight . Unfortunately I would not recommend any over the counter pain medication or this could prevent your vet from dog safe anti inflammatory medications .

If he is so painful that he will not settle I would suggest having him seen by a vet tonight. so he can get some pain relief. I would try to keep him as still and quiet as possible for now in case this is due to a spinal injury . If you have a heating pad you can place this on a soft bed and cover with a towel hopefully he will lay on it and the heat may help

I hope he does ok, please reply back if you have additional questions
Candy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if I did take him to the emergency vets, what do they do for a broken tail?
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
It would depend on where the tail was broken in most cases we simply apply a special wrap to the tail to keep it straight. If broken up high enough this can interfere with the ability to control the bowels and bladder My main concern would be to rule out a spinal injury and to get him some pain relief. If he will settle down and sleep then you can monitor him for the night but if he is to painful to sleep he should be seen. If you can apply heat by using a heating pad this may help with the pain , however, if he is to painful to touch this may not be an option