VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Educated, experienced, and friendly!
24209094

My dog vomits 2 or 3 hours after eating a meal with dog food.

My dog vomits 2 or 3 hours after eating a meal with dog food. Been to vet. They gave her Hills Prescription diet food. Toldme to start her with rice and ground beef and slowly mix in the dog food. When eating just the rice and ground beef she seems fine. As soon as I get close to 50% dog food she will vomit a few hours after eating. She will also have very loose stool with some blood in it. She is a 1 year old pitbull. She has been having these problem for about 6 weeks. Until then she could eat anything and she was OK. I had tried Blue Buffalo sensitive stomach grain free food as well. When at the vet they tested her blood and stool. Both came back negative. Also did an x-ray that showed nothing.

I am thinking it may be some sort of food allergy??? Why did it take until she was 11 months old to show up. Other than loose, bloody stools and vomit she seems normal. Lots of energy!

Any ideas???
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to address your question for you. Considering her symptoms, it sounds like you are indeed looking at a food intolerance or allergy. Dogs can be allergic to the protein in the diet, or the grain.

This is a fairly common cause of allergies in dogs, and can cause many skin issues in a dog, and they can be seen all over the body, though areas around the face, ears, and rump tend to be the most common areas to see inflammation. A good hint that your dog is suffering from food allergies is frequent ear infections. Studies have linked frequent yeast and bacterial infections to food allergies, and when the allergy symptoms are treated, the frequency of ear infections also fade. Food trials can be done to help identify which food ingredients cause your dog the most issue.

With food trials, your vet will help introduce your dog to a "hypoallergenic" diet which you should keep to very strictly (no treats or human food should be given while on a food trial) for around 12 weeks to determine if there is any improvement from symptoms while on the diet.

You can also try switching foods at home to a diet with ingredients vastly different from the one you are currently feeding (IE, if you are on a chicken and corn diet, try a lamb and rice). Many vets carry prescription diets that have fun ingredients such as kangaroo or venison and green pea to help people find a diet with different protein and grain ingredients for dogs with food allergies. Any time a food is switched, it should be done gradually, mixing the old food in with the new food over a period of nine days (3 days of 75% old/25% new, 3 days of 50/50, and three days of 25% old/50% new) to help prevent against gastric distress that comes with a sudden food change, which is sounds like you were doing with the bland diet!

Sometimes in dogs, it can take a while for allergies to show up as dogs can slowly increase the intolerance they have to certain ingredients.
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience: Educated, experienced, and friendly!