VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Educated, experienced, and friendly!

I just recently changed my 7 yr old beagle mix bam-bams diet

I just recently changed my 7 yr old beagle mix bam-bam's diet to strictly chicken and rice for past bouts with pancreatitis. He weighs around 30 lbs but he should be around 25lbs. So how much rice and how much chicken do i give him? I am currently feeding him around 4 drumsticks a day.I boil them, peel the skin back and then pull the chicken off and cut it up. I feed him twice a day, 2 drumsticks per feeding. Then I am giving him 1 cup of cooked rice each feeding as well. Is this too much? Thanks Shannon from New York
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about your poor pup's problem!

Generally, they say a bland diet should consist of two parts rice to one part chicken. The best type of chicken for this I've found is the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The white meat is better for the bland diet than the dark meat.

So, if you are feeding one cup of rice, you should mix it with (roughly) three ounces of boiled chicken cut up into small bites for about three days before slowly returning to his regular diet (which should be low-fat, if he is having pancreatitis issues).

If you have any follow-up questions, please hit reply, and I'd be glad to continue working with you. Otherwise, I hope this is helpful and that you boy gets to feeling better soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I was actually told that I should keep him on it for the rest of his life. He had pancreatitis twice with in 3 months. Is there something else I should be adding to this diet for more protein and minerals?
Yes, you should be supplementing vitamins and minerals with your dog's diet, if you are cooking at home for your dog. I'm going to give you a few reference sites that give information on vitamin supplements for canines.

Here is a break-down of dietary supplements.
Here is a link to the Pet-tabs website which provides vitamins supplements for pets.
Nutrical is another dietary supplement that you can give your dog nutritional supplements when you're not feeding a commercial diet.
This site has some good recipes for dogs with pancreatitis.

And one of my favorites, BalanceIt is a great website through which you can purchase supplements and generate recipes with special dietary requirements to feed your dog a good, cooked meal at home. (Check out the "free recipe" part of the page).
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience: Educated, experienced, and friendly!