CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dogs eye is red and swollen. There is a mucus layer near

My dog's eye is red and swollen. There is a mucus layer near the bottom of it. I don't know if I should bring her to the vet (my parents are very frugal). She doesn't seem to bothered by it. Are there any home remedies I could try?
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Is only 1 eye affected?

CriticalCareVet :

Are both pupils the same size?

CriticalCareVet :

What color is the eye discharge?

Customer:

Only one eye is infected... it's red and the discharge is a whitish color

Customer:

her eye is so swollen that the pupil has gone up towards the eyelid

Customer:

and is sort of hidden

CriticalCareVet :

Based on your history, one possible cause is a conjunctivitis (LINK HERE).

Other causes we can not rule out with history alone:
- Corneal ulceration (scratch to the cornea, trauma to the eye)
- Allergies

Options for at home care include:

- Warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second recommendation is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery story or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

- Often in these cases we also consider treatments such as antihistamines - an example being Benadryl (LINK HERE). (when opening the link, close the pop-up to read about the medications listed)

If the signs do not improve - testing for other causes such as an infection or ulcer and considering topical antibiotics would be considered. A common example is NeoPolyGram (EXAMPLE HERE)

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer:

How long should I expect her eye to be like this for?

CriticalCareVet :

Depends on the cause - but it an be several days at least.

Customer:

Where do I get the neopolygram from?

Customer:

And should I wait first

CriticalCareVet :

Your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet :

And ideally - no - I would not wait.

CriticalCareVet :

If there is a scratch or infection in the eye, this should be treated as soon as possible.

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck and please click ACCEPT before closing the window.

Customer:

Is the vet going to ask to see her before he/she will prescribe

Customer:

I'm not done asking questions

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - they will need to see her.

CriticalCareVet :

They will need to examine the eye!!!

Customer:

I am more than willing to bring her to the vet

Customer:

but my parents aren't

Customer:

that's the sad thing...

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - that is unfortunate.

Customer:

How much do you think the vet will charge

CriticalCareVet :

Depends on what they do./

CriticalCareVet :

Call them and ask.

CriticalCareVet :

A typical exam would be around $30-$50

CriticalCareVet :

Eye testing would be around $25-40

CriticalCareVet :

Eye medications would be around $30

CriticalCareVet :

But call and ask

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

is there a way to tell if she got scratched?

Customer:

or i guess a vet would have to examine her

CriticalCareVet :

A dye test to the eye - what your vet will o.

CriticalCareVet :

Do

CriticalCareVet :

Called a fluoroscein stain

CriticalCareVet :

An easy and common procedure.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

no more q's

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist