Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is restless walking around and panting, especially at

My dog is restless walking around and panting, especially at 2:00 in the morning. What is wrong, does he need emergency help, and how can I help him with a natural remedy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

Is tonight the first time this has happened or has this been on going?

Other then this night time behavior have you noticed any other changes?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Any existing health problems or is he on any medications?

When was he last seen by the vet?

Any increase in drinking or urination?

What color are his gums?

What breed is he?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Candy - This is night #3 of the symptoms. Saw his vet 3 weeks ago -she practices holistically. Thyroid test was in the very low normal range and his skin is very flakey. He has spinal arthritis and walking is difficult. prior to the last 5 or 6 months, he did not drink much water even in hot weather, but in these last few months he has definitely dramatically increased his drinking and his urination. He is not vomiting or having diarrhea. Had good appetite until this started 3 nights ago - now his appetite has fallen off to about half of what he was eating. no pharmaceutical medications except for aspirin. He is on vitamins, minerals and plant and glandular remedies.to help thyroid, skin and arthritis. It has had more difficulty walking last 2 days, however walking better this afternoon. He is a German Shepherd.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay I tried to post your answer and for some reason it erased. Give me just a few minutes to retype
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Much of what you are describing can be associated with low thyroid and in most cases holistic approaches do not work for this . It is also important to know that even vitamin herbs and minerals have side effects.

The fact that he is loosing his appetite is also concerning. This in addition to increased water drinking can indicate problem with the liver or kidneys. Other common causes of increased drinking are diabetes, Cushings disease( this can also cause panting) Addisons disease, urinary tract infection and in some cases cancer.

Panting and passing mostly at night can be signs of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. This is similar to dementia in humans Click here for more on this

The trouble walking that you are seeing could be due to spinal arthritis , however if it is progressing then it is possible you are dealing with a condition called Dengenerative myelopathy Click here

Panting can also be a sign of pain.

Because your dog is already taking some holistic remedies I would not recommended any over the counter products. The only way to know how to treat is to know for sure what the problem is .
It may be beneficial at this point to do new blood work and perhaps consider a conventional approach for the thyroid if all other blood work is normal.I would also discuss the possibility of DM

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is DM?
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
DM is the Degenerative myelopathy I spoke of above which is the most common reason for progressive hindend weakness in this breed.
Click here for more on this