How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18801
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nieces dog just ate @15 small milk choc eggs within the

This answer was rated:

My niece's dog just ate @15 small milk choc eggs within the last hours. She is a 2 yr old lab mix. Is there anything we should do, or just wait for her to either throw or pass them?
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been a professional answering here since 2006. Over 13,000 of my answers have been accepted by customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you.


This amount of milk chocolate is unlikely to cause a normal size Lab much of an issue. She might have some diarrhea but it is not likely to be toxic.
However, I will give you the information on chocolate toxicity.


First thing is to not panic. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .


Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.

The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.


If the dog had ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you would need to have the dog taken to the vet for supportive care. The vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through the dog’s system with less absorption and monitor the dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.

You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and she may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. Still this is probably not an issue in this particular case. You can read about pancreatitis here:

Hope this helps.

Jane Lefler and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions