Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my dog is pooping and vomiting a lot the past couple days,

my dog is pooping and vomiting a lot the past couple days, like everytime she gets up to move around. any idea as to what my be wrong?

Hi Jacustomer-9jq2it4w~

Is she up to date on vaccines?

Is she still eating and drinking normally?

Is she spayed?

Could she have gotten into anything unusual?

Does she get bones, rawhides or people food?

Is her belly hard to the touch or soft?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
vaccines are up to date, she is small so her eating is small but she drank quite a bit the past 2 days. not spayed, just finished her first "real" heat cycle last week. i dont think she got into anything. no people food, just treats and chew bones. belly is soft.

Are her gums pink or pale?

Have you noticed any odor to her urine?

Have you noticed any discharge from her vulva?

Is she asking to go outside more often?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they were pink the last time i checked, not home right now. havent noticed any odor, she goes outside in the grass as a rule. no discharge or anything of the like since her heat cycle. she responds well to going outside to potty. its like she cant control her bowel when she gets up and just has to go immediately.

Thanks for answering my questions.

With an unaltered female who is lethargic and drinking more than usual after a recent heat cycle, the first thing we think of is a pyometra.

The term 'pyometra' means pus in the uterus. This pus formation in the uterus results from infection, hormone imbalance or mucous buildup inside the uterus. Most dogs and cats suffering from pyometra are presented because of loss of energy, increased thirst and poor appetite.

Pyometras can be either open (where the cervix is open and there is drainage) or closed (cervix is closed, no drainage, and dog is very sick). If your dog is licking her vulva I suspect it is open, but there is always the chance it will close. If she's not paying any attention to her vulva at all, then it's probably closed.

With an open pyometra, you probably wouldn't see anything on x-rays as the pus is draining out. An ultrasound would likely show a thickened uterus and fluid, but the x-ray isn't that good for detail like that. An open pyometra also might not show any changes in bloodwork, particularly early on. With a closed one you would expect an increase in white blood cells, but not necessarily early on.

My suggestion is to get your girl to an emergency vet as soon as you can. If she does, in fact, have a pyometra and it is left untreated, it could very well rupture and kill her.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry, she isnt really lethargic. she was very excited last nite and wanted to play. does this pyometra have anything to do with or explain why she is pooping alot, loose yellow stool, and vomiting some too? as for her drinking, she always drinks a lot...she isnt necessarily drinking more now. she was around some of our families dogs this past weekend and i know she got into their food, but this has never happened before from that common occurrence. the frequent pooping and vomiting are what worry me.

Dogs who have a pyometra frequently do vomit and have diarrhea.

While it's possible that this is just digestive upset from getting into new food...the fact she's recently been over her heat cycle makes it even more likely that it's a pyometra. Especially since she got into the new food almost a week ago.