Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My Bernese Mountain dog has been sick since Sunday - started

My Bernese Mountain dog has been sick since Sunday - started with vomiting on Sunday, bloody diahrrhea yesterday. He does not want to eat but is drinking. He is being treated with Flagyl. He has no temperature, white blood cells and heart rate slightly elevated. Just found out about Diamond pet food recall tonight. He doesn't eat Diamond, but he does eat Solid Gold which is manufactured at same plant. Could this be salmonella poisoning, and if so, would that also be treated with Flagyl or should we seek additional treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear your boy is having trouble.

Vomiting and diarrhea can be a sign of salmonella poisoning in dogs, however this normally causes a fever as well.
Click here for additional information

Other possible cause could be
* Intestinal parasites
* Bacterial infections
* Eating something she should not that has caused a blockage in the digestive tract
* Eating something toxic
* New foods or treats
* Enteritis

If the Metro does not help I would suggest getting a fecal sample tested. If negative for parasites and you are worried about the potential of salmonella then a diarrhea panel should be done
Click here for what is included in a diarrhea panel

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has had a fecal sample tested and diarrhea panel done. Your link for what is included in the diarrhea panel does not work.. I just took him out to potty now and even though he tried to nothing came out. Would that likely mean that his stomach is empty or that he may have a blockage?
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
I am glad they did a parasite panel and a diarrhea panel. Sorry that link does not work
here is the information If the diarrhea panel was done then I would not be concerned about salmonella

The canine diarrhea PCR panel includes qualitative detection and differentiation of the following canine diarrheagenic pathogens using various PCR protocols:

If he is having loose stool the straining is normal. as there is inflammation in the colon and an increased urge with nothing to really put out.

I apologize Colitis should have been on my list of possibilities as well .

Click here for more on this