smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
25557073

lab: My 5 month..woke me..check her and she seemed fine

My 5 month old lab woke me up in the middle of the night with a loud screech...as if she had been steeped on. However, I sleep next to her and know nothing happened to her.
I woke her up to check her and she seemed fine. Her behavior was normal today...eating/drinking. She did have a very soft stool this morning. However, I think she may have eaten a banana slug this morning beforehand. I don't think she has had a stool since. Can dogs have nightmares?

Hi there-

Actually, it is very common for dogs to make noises while sleeping. Many dogs, my own included, will whine and bark while asleep and mine will even twitch and tremor sometimes. While we don't know if they are dreaming, it seems like the brain waves and such when measured are similar to humans in deep REM sleep. Assuming that she is acting normally today, I don't think i would be too concerned about it.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Dr. B