Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My four-year-old German Shepherd is vomiting up yellow mucus,

My four-year-old German Shepherd is vomiting up yellow mucus, 5 tiny amounts and one large amount over the last two hours. It's been unusually warm today and there is a LOT of tree pollen in the air. She seems OK otherwise, very alert, doesn't appear to be in any pain, and actually wanted to play ball for ten minutes (a series of small successive vomits followed the easy game of ball). Her stool is reasonably solid, normal color. The stool was solid this morning. I've had dogs who have had gastric torsion and she isn't acting in distress like that at all. Should I offer any food (she hasn't had any today, we were travelling in a car much of the day). Or just give water? She normally has a very stable digestion.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Could she have gotten into anything that could have upset her stomach?

Does she get any rawhides or any people food?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I haven't fed a dog rawhide in twenty years. She was given some rich cheese last night by some guests, and then ate her dry dog food afterwards without problems. She seemed fine this am, and we had a long care trip without any obvious problems. She hasn't had anything to eat today.....
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

She sounds like she may have an upset stomach which could be from the rich cheese, which can happen with food that dogs are not used to.

We also have the fact that she had been in the car for an extended period of time which can cause car sickness in dogs. It was also warm today which is another possibilty that could upset the stomach.

The fact she wanted to play and does not seem to be in distress, is a good sign. At this poing I would leave ice cubes down for her to lick and withhold her food until morning. This will allow her stomach to rest.

Many Vets in this situation will suggest something that can help settle the stomach. They use several medications which they use that include Famatidine, Zantac and tagamet.

You can read about these here:

If she seems to get worse I would not hesitate to have her seen by an ER Vet tonight, but if all is ok and she stops vomiting, I would just follow up with your Vet in the am. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If she continues to vomit yellow liquid every once in a while but is OK otherwise, can I hold off taking her to the vet until tomorrow? I am wondering if heat is a factor, she has gone to lie down in a downstairs bathroom which is one of the coolest places in the house ----- She is alert, not drooling, and I felt her abdomen all over, couldn't detect any bloating and she didn't act like it was painful. I forgot to mention that there was some mucus coating her stool this am and eve. She had an extended bout of diarrhea (no vomitingat all) at the beginning of the year. Her digestion eventually settled down (we changed her food and had her on PeptoBismol for two weeks) and all tests were negative, but the vet did mention the possibility of IBD.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

With Bloat a dog generally does not vomit. It is an unproductive dry heaving, but I will give you the link on what to watch for:

I cannot say the Pepto bismol would be good choice, since it does have some of the ingredients of Aspirin in it and that can irritate the stomach. The Vets that I works with recommend the 3 products above for nausea and the are over the counter and usually will settle the stomach.

The call will be yours as to whether you feel she needs to see the ER Vet since you are with her. If she was my girl and not vomiting profusely and is comfortable, I personally would not rush out tonight. As I said, the ice cubes instead of water should be better for her to lick. I am glad she is laying down and staying cool. I am sure that will help. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it. No vomiting for 75 minutes now. She was very eager to get ice cubes with a bit of cold water. Gums are normal color. Resting quietly on a cool bathroom floor. I am thinking heat was a factor. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX watch for other signs of bloat but haven't seen any symptoms like those mentioned, and I had a GSD that survived two surgeries for bloat.... Thank you
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

I am hoping with a little rest and a cool down, she will be ok. At least you are now armed with the knowledge on what you can do to make her feel better and what to watch for with the bloat. Please keep me updated on how she is doing. Joan