smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.

My 7 yr old Yorkie got in a tussle with a Beagle puppy yesterday.

My 7 yr old Yorkie got in a tussle with a Beagle puppy yesterday. He was favoring his rear right leg and wouldn't put any weight on it yesterday. Today, he uses it more but still gingerly, and this morning it was red. About 12 hrs later it is bright red and now swelling. His behavior is fine and he is eating fine. Does he need a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  smanimalvet replied 4 years ago.

Hi there-

Unfortunately, I think your little guy does need to see a vet. If anything, we need to get him on pain medications as we know pain delays healing. Beyond that, we need to make sure that no serious damage was done. Dog bites are like icebergs, often the damage is done under the skin and what we see on the outside is just the "tip' of the problem. Plus, dog bites can easily become infected. It is often best to stop the problem before it starts rather than wait until you have a big (and expensive) problem on your hands.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Dr. B