petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

hello, my dog is breathing real fast, seems to possibly be

hello, my dog is breathing real fast, seems to possibly be in some pain, is having flatulence and diarrhea. but he's still jumping around and has a normal amount of energy. we gave him a beef knuckle dog chew from the grocery store (intended for dogs) yesterday - could these symptoms be related? his nose is warm, does that mean a fever? please advise, thanks!

Dr Z :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr Z :

Has there been any vomiting?

Customer:

i don't think so

Dr Z :

Can you check the color of his gums to see if they are pink and does the color come back quickly when you press on them? Are they wet or tacky?

Customer:

he kind of shies away when i go to pet him, which he NEVER does.

Customer:

will go check

Dr Z :

Has he ever had a bone like this before?

Customer:

they're rather pale and i had a hard time getting to press on them

Customer:

rather tacky

Customer:

no, we just bought it on a whim

Customer:

he's a 45-50 pound terrier

Customer:

it was the size of his head

Customer:

and he worked on it quite a bit last night, although he's left it somewhere outside now i think

Dr Z :

Did he chew it up into small pieces before he ate it?

Customer:

i am not sure.

Customer:

oh, and i just got his gums - color returns quickly.

Dr Z :

Whenever they eat something where they potentially can swallow a large peice, we have to worry about a possible GI obstruction.

Dr Z :

His increased breathing could be a pain or abdominal discomfort reaction and may be due to that.

Dr Z :

On the other hand, there may be no obstruction, but it could be due to discomfort due to dietary indescetion (eating something he is not used to)

Customer:

is this the sort of thing that would more likely be passed? or more likely cause major problems/>

Customer:

?

Dr Z :

This would be more consistant with the diarrhea you are seeing.

Customer:

the dietary indescretion, you mean?

Dr Z :

If he seems to be having a fair amount of distress or discomfort, as evidenced by the heavy breathing, it could be due to diarrhea from eating the bone, but we would need to rule out if there is an obstruction or not.

Dr Z :

If it is just dietary indescretion causing the diarrhea, fasting should help and his signs should resolve soon, but if it contnues, progresses or he starts vomiting he should have an exam and abdominal xray.

Customer:

ok i will keep an eye on him.

Customer:

do you mean less than another couple hours for "continues" ?

Customer:

if it is just indigestion, it should go in a few hours, seems like. so if after a couple of hours he still has this, i should take him to the vet.

Customer:

sound like a good plan?

Dr Z :

Yes, it it continues longer than another hour or so, I would be more concerned. Some dogs get very painful when their gut is irritated, but it can be difficult to differentiate something more serious, so based on the severity of his symptoms , you may want to seek vet intervention sooner. Since he is an adult dog, a 12 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule.

Dr Z :

Yes, that is a good plan.

Customer:

ok, i'll do that then. and the above is good to now, thank you!

Customer:

good to know, i mean.

Dr Z :

You are welcome. I hope things resolve on their own.

Customer:

me too!