Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog has been limping for 5 days now..I have checked every

Customer Question

My dog has been limping for 5 days now..I have checked every joint pulled prodded he does not yelp..he is eating drinking going outside etc.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been with Just Answer since 2007. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Since each answer is customized for the problem it may take some time to type it out and additional questions may be needed.

Can you please tell me on which leg the dog is limping?

Do you know if the dog jumped from something and got hurt or was there any rough play that you are aware of?

Have you checked between the toes, pads, nail beds etc. for thorns ot other that may be irritating the dog?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is his left leg..He was playing with a soccer ball. His nail are long..but nothing in the pads that we feel or see..I have pulled all his toes as well.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry left rear leg or left front?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry front we believe by the first joint
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for that information. If it were a soft tissue injury I would think after five days of the treatment you have been giving it would be getting better. Generally after three days with soft tissue you should see a difference. Dogs can show limping for a couple of reasons, obviously a soft tissue, but also a bone/joint problem such as arthrtis ,bone spur in the joint, elbow dysplasia, and believe it or not a disc problem in the neck will show front limb limping. The German Shepherd is prone to Elbow dysplasia which you can read about here , symptoms/treatments

I also own a breed prone to this so when my dog began limping an x ray ruled out elbow dysplasia and he was then found to have a disc problem in the neck, once meds were given he was back to normal.

If there is a disc problem pain meds and anti inflammatory meds may not work, you may have to try steroids.
You can read more on this problem here: Neck area

Regardless, 5 days is a long time for normal injuries and the dog needs an examination. From there you can make a better decision.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had 4 German Shepards..Is it possible because he is still walking a mile each day this could help it from not heeling..Would that change your answer?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
I would not be walking him at all at this point, however I would not put off a vet visit either to at least get the dog started on some pain meds. Give that this breed is prone to elbow dysplasia it would not change my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My dog is fine..Soft tissue nothing serious he is perfectly fine:(
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
I am so happy to hear that! This breed is wonderful but do have many things that one has to watch for. I am glad it was nothing serious and the walks will continue:) I will go ahead and close this original question and wish you well. Thanks for the update:)