Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My pomeranians right shoulder is turned inward. When I feel

My pomeranian's right shoulder is turned inward. When I feel her back, I can only feel her left shoulder bone. I've tried to find her right one and it feels like it's almost turned left toward her neck. She is 11 years old. She sometimes lifts her right paw, but at other times still acts like a puppy and wants to play like nothing's wrong. She'll sometimes rotate her head to the right(it faces straight but it's turned sideways at about a 45 degree angle). Should I get her an x-ray just in case? Is it just old age? I told our local vet at her last checkup and she didn't find anything that seemed out of the ordinary(no x-ray). I just need to know what precautions I should take for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Does it seem painful?

Did they say why they didn't x-ray?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It doesn't seem to hurt her very much. They said there wasn't anything wrong with her leg or shoulder and it could just be old age and to just massage her shoulder daily, but it doesn't seem to be working. She yelped once in the last 3 months about a week ago, but hasn't shown any pain since.

Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.
How long ago was her last vet visit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 1 and a half months ago.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

It sounds like it could be simple muscle wasting, which happens a lot in geriatric dogs. The muscles around the joint sort of whither and causes the bones underneath to shift and sit differently than they used to. I'd likely be more worried if she was always painful, but since she's not, it's probably not something like an arthritic change.

That being said, since it hasn't gotten any better since the last time she saw the vet, it might not be a bad idea to ask them to take a quick x-ray, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.