Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Are there dog in heat scents that can be used to help collect

Are there dog in heat scents that can be used to help collect canine semen for later artificial insemination? If so, what company offers it, and how much is it? I am considering becoming a breeder and need info [most likely Rottweiler but possibly others], does the scent work on all breeds or is it somewhat specific?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. Over 13,000 of my answers have been accepted by customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Yes you can. Many breeders use "Eau d'estrus". However, most male dogs that are old enough really don't need it. You can find this here:

If you are collecting semen, this site might be helpful.

The heat scent is not breed specific. Rottweilers are my breed and I have to tell you that breeding is not a money making enterprise if done correctly.

The first thing you want to do is decide what breed you plan on breeding and research the breed completely including health problems. You may be thinking, buy a dog for $300-400, breed her and have 3-8 puppies at $500 a piece and get a quick $1500-4000. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, especially with smaller breeds as there are medical costs related with smaller breeds and more food costs with larger breeds. There is a lot more involved besides just letting the dogs do their thing.

You have the initial cost of the dogs. Buying a good dog with excellent bloodlines with reputable registry papers such as AKC (only way to help ensure you MIGHT not have health problems with your dogs. Plan on paying a lot more then you see puppies go for in the newspaper and possibly as high as $3000 or more depending on the bloodlines, health clearances and champion titles of the ancestors. My sire's father cost 10 times that price and his mother was also quite expensive as well.

You have their upkeep until they are breeding age which is usually 2 years of age so that all health clearances can be performed and they can be certified free of genetic diseases. This upkeep can cost up from $300-1000 a year. Genetic testing can be anywhere from $250-500 or more depending on what tests are required. Each breed has their own set of genetic problems that have to be figured in to testing costs.

Any dog found to have a genetic problem or possible genetic health issue should be fixed and thus can't be breed. This is the reason for buying puppies from responsible breeders that have done their health testing.

You then need health exams before breeding, during pregnancy and for smaller breeds, x-rays just prior to delivery to determine if the dog will need a c-section for delivery or not. Small breeds frequently need c-sections that can cost anywhere from $500-2500.

You will lose time away from your regular job to oversee labor and newborn puppies and if your female doesn't take care of the puppies, this may stretch in to weeks as you will have to feed them every 3 hours. Small breeds also have less puppies and you may only end up with a single pup or 2-3. Some of those may also die shortly after birth or later from disease, getting chilled or the mother rolling over on them.

If they survive, you have registration cost to ensure your puppies have their papers in order. You also have puppy food cost, cost of puppy vaccinations, vet visits and deworming.

In addition, if problems occur during labor you could lose your female and all the puppies as well. I think you are seeing that breeding is not a profitable business and can actually cost you money. So if you are seriously considering it, be sure you are doing it because you want to better the breed and have lots of financial resources available in the event a problem occurs.

I hope this information is helpful to you and if you have further questions, please reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appologize for not getting back to you sooner, work and pc problems have kept me from being online much. Primarily I am thinking about the stud service end of it [thus the artificial insemination, etc], that is why the question about what products are offered and how much they cost. I still don't know the cost the link doesn't have costs.

The company does not supply the cost to the general public. To get the price, you will need to start an account with them and then they will give you the cost of their products. Most people don't use the product because it is so easy to find a female in heat and use her to get the male in the right frame of mind. When I've done semen collection, I use a female in heat. It seems to me that it was under $50 the last time I heard a price quoted for it. The easiest thing would be for you to call the company at 1-800-733-5500 and set up an account and then you could request a price quote.

However, as I mentioned, many stud owners just use any female dog in heat. A fellow breeder of mine has even borrowed one of my females to act as a teaser when he has needed to collect semen to ship.