petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 3 month old rescue puppy has a running nose and is sneezing,

My 3 month old rescue puppy has a running nose and is sneezing, she has been very active since bringing her home...chasing the cats, playing,etc. but she does sleep alot. I have a vet appointment next week. but i'd like to know if the running nose and sneezing is something that needs immediate attention.

Dr Z :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr Z :

Is the sneezing and runny nose a new finding , or did she come to you with it?

Dr Z :

Does she sound congested? Can you describe the nasal discharge? clear? yellow-green?

Customer:

I only have had her for 3 days , so i guess i noticed it 2 days ago

Customer:

discharge is generally clear but i have noticed some yellowing

Customer:

i don't think she sounds congested

Customer:

the dischatge isn't real heavy but noticable today

Dr Z :

If you have noticed the discharge start to change from clear to colored, even if she is still playful, active and eating, I would try to get her in to see your vet sooner than next week. When you start to see color to the discharge, it usually means that bacterial infection is setting in. Even if the initial sneezing was due to virus (which her immune system should be able to take care of) or allergy, if bacteria become involved, she needs to have antibiotics prescribed.

Customer:

ok..i'll call tommorrow. it's not an emergency that i have to care for tonight right?

Dr Z :

In the meantime, keep her nose as free and clear of dischage as you can. If she starts to sound congested at all, you can give her steam treatments.

Dr Z :

Run a hot shower with the door closed to get the room steamy and then leave them in there for 5-10 min. You can do this a few times a day.

Customer:

ok thanks..i'll do that

Dr Z :

It doesn't sound like an emergency and she sounds like she is stable until tomorrow.

Customer:

do puppies sleep alot?

Dr Z :

Yes, they play hard and then they sleep hard. It is probably difficult to know if she is subdued or not since you don't know her very well yet.

Dr Z :

I have had many clients who thought their new puppy was normal until they improved from whatever virus or bug they were fighting and then they got to see what the puppy's real energy level was like.

Dr Z :

Your vet will be better able to advise you after they examine her.

Customer:

oboy! i'm in for a crazy dog then! thanks for your help.

Dr Z :

You are welcome. Have a good night.

Customer:

you too!