Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog is breathing really heavy while he is sleeping. This

my dog is breathing really heavy while he is sleeping. This is not a usual occurrence. It just started getting hotter around this time of year. But he is doing it in his kennel at night. It isn't that hot! I am just worried about him. He has had no health problems as of late. He is about 2 years old.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Breathing heavy is usually referred to as panting. Many different things can cause constant panting. Heavy panting can be caused by heart problems, lung problems, fever, or bronchitis. You can read about this here:

Dogs pant for various reasons. They pant to cool down, but they also pant when they are under stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever.

If your dog is panting but has no other symptoms, keep a watch on him. If it still seems excessive after a day or so, or if he develops more symptoms, I'd schedule an appointment with your Vet.. Given that it is happening when he is asleep, It would not be due to being afraid or under stress, so I would mention it to your vet and be sure his heart and lungs are checked.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its like he is sitting outside, he is even doing it now in front of me . While he is awake. This seems weird?

I do understand your concerns and they are valid. Given his breed, if it is happening while he is awake as well, it might be due to pain such as from hip dysplasia. To ease your own mind, it might be best to just go ahead and have him seen. There are vets that offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.

Taking your dog to one of these vets would have your dog checked out with minimal cost to you.