Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my dog has small bumps just underneath her skin and she is

Customer Question

my dog has small bumps just underneath her skin and she is scratching a lot but she has no fleas,she also bites a lot on her paws.
can you tell me what are these symptoms may tell me?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

The bumps under the skin are very possibly a hypersensitivity reaction. This is like a person having a allergic reaction and getting "hives"

Dr. Andy :

The other concern can also be a pyoderma (a skin infection).

Dr. Andy :

It makes sense for some type of allergic reaction with all the scratching as well.

Dr. Andy :

ANY time there is either swelling of the skin or hives over the body, I actually strongly recommend an ER vet visit.

Dr. Andy :

The reason: Steroids. An ER vet can quickly help to get her more comfortable with a steroid injection, and evaluate the skin further.

Dr. Andy :

In addition, it may be helpful to give a antihistamine right now!

Dr. Andy :

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Dr. Andy :

Well worth a vet exam before the skin gets horribly self-traumatized with wounds and infected for sure.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know. I apologize if you had any problems getting into the chat or receiving your answer. Please let me know if you had any difficulties.

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy