Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

How do you give the puppies first shots yourself ?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Is this for a litter of puppies, or just one?

Dr. K :

How old is the puppy/puppies now?

Customer:

it is a litter of puppies and they are 8 weeks old

Dr. K :

If you are looking to vaccinate them yourself, you can purchase vaccine through many online pet pharmacies...such as Doctors Foster and Smith.

Dr. K :

I am giving you the link:

Dr. K :

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/search?af=type%3Aproduct&view=grid&w=dog%20distemper&visitorID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&subtotal=0.00&division=pharmacy

Dr. K :

The website includes video instructions on how to administer the vaccines.

Dr. K :

The distemper parvo vaccination is given usually beginning at 5 to 6 weeks of age, and is then given every 3 to 4 weeks until the puppies are about 16 weeks of age.

Dr. K :

You will not be able to purchase rabies vaccine online...this is given at 12 to 16 weeks of age.

Dr. K :

This can only be administered by a veterinarian.

Dr. K :

I hope that this answers your question, and I wish you the best of luck with your puppies.

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, please click on the "accept" to show that you were satisfied with your service.

Customer:

can you still give the parvo when they are 8 weeks

Dr. K :

Yes, you can.

Dr. K :

This vaccine is given every 3 to 4 weeks until they are about 16 weeks of age.

Dr. K :

So, you would give it as soon as possible...and then give it another 3 to 4 weeks later, and then one more time 3 to 4 weeks after that.

Customer:

do you now where in the link it is to find how to put the shots yourself

Dr. K :

Did you go to the link yet?

Customer:

yes, i did

Dr. K :

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?gid=1037

Dr. K :

On this page there is a link right in the middle of the page that says..."give the vaccines yourself...we will show you how"

Dr. K :

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, there are pictures of how to give the injection.

Dr. K :

Do keep in mind, that if you have never done this before, this can be tricky. It is possible to not do this correctly.

Dr. K :

Also, if you are planning on selling these puppies, they will need a veterinary examination anyway.

Dr. K :

So, you may want to consider just taking them to the veterinarian to be examined and vaccinated.

Dr. K :

You can then have the vet show you how to do it in person, at this examination, and you may then feel more comfortable about ordering the vaccines yourself to be given at home for the next series.

Customer:

i still can not see where it is

Dr. K :

I gave you a second link.

Dr. K :

If you go to that link the page that opens up is the "Vaccination Center".

Dr. K :

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, there are pictures...step-by-step of how to administer a vaccine.

Dr. K :

In the pictures is a German Shorthaired Pointer

Customer:

i found it it was at the home site

Dr. K :

I am glad.

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, then please click on the "accept."