Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my dog cant walk on her back legs but she if you touch her

my dog cant walk on her back legs but she if you touch her she can move her tail lightly and her legs twitch
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Can't walk at all?

Dr. Andy :

Or, if you lift her up she can voluntarily move the legs a little?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

She cant walk on her hind legs

Dr. Andy :

Okay. If you squeezed the skin between her paws on a back leg (don't get bitten) does she pull her leg away?

Customer:

okay im trying that right now

Customer:

she just twitched

Dr. Andy :

Okay.

Dr. Andy :

My concern for a dog that is unable to walk with the hind legs includes:

Dr. Andy :

A disc herniation somewhere in the thoracic (over the chest) to lumbar (lower back) part of the spine.

Dr. Andy :

This is very serious. It is a small positive if she is able to feel deep pain, but she needs to be evaluated immediately.

Dr. Andy :

The vet can perform a few extra tests, which I can't detail here including conscious proprioception.

Dr. Andy :

That is an assessment to watch if the paws can self correct their position when put in a knuckled position.

Dr. Andy :

It helps to isolate if a spinal injury (disc herination) may have occurred.

Customer:

does this happen suddenly because she was fine this morning

Dr. Andy :

Yes, it can, and often, that is how the cases present to me.

Dr. Andy :

At the vet, immediately, the vet will do an examination and it is very likely some spinal x-rays will be performed.

Dr. Andy :

Unfortunately, definitely, not a wait and see type of situation.

Dr. Andy :

I would also NOT give any over-the-counter medication like aspirin as it will interfere with possible drugs the vet may want to start including either stronger steroids or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Dr. Andy :

I cannot rule-out some type of thrombus (blood clot) like a stroke being a contributing factor, but spinal problems are very common.

Dr. Andy :

Hope that info helps

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know. If you have any problems reading the chat, entering the chat room, or have not received an answer, you may receive a separate email!

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Andy :

Your welcome. I truly hope everything works out okay.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Customer:

thanks bye

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept”. My family greatly appreciates it.

Dr. Andy :

Hello?

Dr. Andy :

Was there something else I can address?

Customer:

Yes Im here

Customer:

I was just looking at my dog

Dr. Andy :

I wasn't sure if I was done until you click 'accept'

Customer:

okay I will do it soon

Dr. Andy :

okay

Dr. Andy :

My screen shows you may be having some difficulties?

Dr. Andy :

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, and you can request me for additional questions:

Dr. Andy :

I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her muscles still contract when I blow on her skin what does that mean?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Nothing necessarily.
It depends on the location where you blow as well. For example, dogs have what is called a panniculus reflex over their back. A gentle stimulation of the skin over the spine can cause the skin to contract as one example.

So, not sure what it means....a bit too difficult without being there to observe and do my own exam.