Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog just stands and stares at the wall. His activity has

My dog just stands and stares at the wall. His activity has decreased and he doesn't seem happy. He has even quit barking at the neighbors cat. I am worried about him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-gost4kpr~

How long has he been doing this behavior?

Is he still eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally?

When he's having those episodes of staring, does he seem 'with it', or does he seem a little dazed?

Does he have any other health issues?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has been doing it noticably for a month or so and he does seem a little dazed, I call his name and he doesn't look at me but i know he can hear me because if i offer to take him for a walk or feed him a treat his ears perk up. He did have an episode of throwing up 3 times the day before yesterday and hadn't eaten until this afternoon otherwise his bodily functions seem to be fine
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a neurological issue. The staring at walls could be something called focal seizures..this is where only one part of the body is involved (something like fly biting, or when a leg tremors). In this case, it sounds like he just stares instead of having tremors. It's fairly common in older dogs as the neurological functions start to deteriorate.

Some vets refer to it as geriatric cognitive dysfunction, and you can find more information here:

http://www.cdsindogs.com/CDSInDogs.aspx?drug=CC&country=US&species=OO&sec=000

Because this is something that has only been going on for a month or so, and because seizures can be caused by many things from ingestion of toxins to underlying disease, I think the best thing is to have your vet take a look at him and possibly run a little blood work, just to make sure that there's nothing underlying disease process going on.

I hope this helps.