Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I think my dog ate my wellbutrin XL (300mg). He weighs Approximately

I think my dog ate my wellbutrin XL (300mg). He weighs Approximately 70lbs, is 8 years old, shepherd/collie mix. He would have eaten it about 6 hours ago. He appears to be fine, no symptoms...

Also, in case it's relevant, he was given a regular dose of Metacam 10 hours before he would have gotten the wellbutrin pill.

What should I do? Is the dosage dangerous for a dog his size?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm going to look up this dose for this guy here and get back to you. He again is eating and drinking well right now? No weakness, vomiting or collapse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, his appetite is normal and he is sleeping, but thats normal at this time. He wakes up and responds normally if i pet him or talk to him (looks up, wags tail, rolls on his side for a belly rub). He has not vomited.
He doesn't seem weak, but its hard to judge right now because he has a foot injury and is limping and wearing a cone ( the metacam was prescribed for the foot injury). If i didn't think he'd eaten the pill, i would not have any reason to be concerned based on his behavior - he is acting completely normally.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Can I ask what makes you think he ate the Welburin tab? Did he chew on the bottle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was supposed to get an antibiotic pill, however my boyfriend thinks he might have taken a pill from the wrong pill bottle and given him wellbutrin. I counted the remaining antibiotic pills, and it does look like there is an extra one so its very likely he got wellbutrin instead of baytril :(
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Always curious as to what the reasoning is. The minimum toxic dose (to see signs) for Bupropion is 10 mg / kg, and he would be at 9.6 mg / kg. This amount may cause sedation and lethargy. Larger overdoses may cause salivation, agitation, ataxia, tremors, and seizures.

Treatment of a toxicity is supportive and symptomatic. If he's just tired and quiet, I'd let him rest. At 6 hours, were past a point of inducing vomiting or giving charcoal. If the more serious signs develop, then he should be seen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Assuming he did get the wellbutrin pill, is it safe to give him his antibiotic pill (baytril), and to continue his metacam treatment tomorrow morning, or could these lead to dangerous interactions?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
These other medications won't interact with the bupropion. I would go ahead and continue with them as long as he's eating and drinking and not vomiting. If he was so weak and out of it that he couldn't swallow, he shouldn't be getting these meds and should be at a veterinary clinic getting treatment.