Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My four month puppy has a blister/bump like thing on her private

Customer Question

My four month puppy has a blister/bump like thing on her private part. I first noticed a rash on her belly, then a bump near her vagina that went away but left a scar or it looks like a scar now. Then about 3 or four days later there was one on her vagina. She still acts normal and it doesn't seem to bother her but it hasn't gone away. It looks like there is some kind of puss or something in it. The fist one was like that too but one morning I looked and it was gone with a scab over it like it popped.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Do not worry, that is really common. Puppies can get acne just like teenagers. But unlike humans, they do not always get it on their faces. So what you are seeing is most likely a "pimple" or a "zit." To help make it go away faster, you can apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream (for inflammation) and neosporin triple antibiotic ointment (for infection). Apply both three times a day. Neither is toxic if she licks them.

If you want to, you can also apply a warm washcloth, as a hot pack, over the pimple/pustule for 10 minutes three times a day. This will bring the infection to the surface and cause the pimple to "pop" sooner. If you want to skip this part, that is fine as well. The pimple/pustule will pop and drain on its own.

If she gets a large number, all over her abdomen, then she will need oral antibiotics to clear them up. If she has one or two I would not worry.

I hope this helps.