CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog is shaking and walking slow. she seems to be in pain,

My dog is shaking and walking slow. she seems to be in pain, not sure where it's coming from but I think she's having trouble pooping. What can I do for her at home and at what point should I take her to a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When was the last bowel movement?

CriticalCareVet :

Is there straining to defecate?

It seems like there is straining. She finally had a very tiny dime shaped bowel movement but that's it

CriticalCareVet :

When did this first start?

Friday afternoon

just figured out that it seems like she's trying to poop

CriticalCareVet :

Regarding the bowel movements, these suggestions should help:

- Offer milk. The reason for this is that most dogs are mildly lactose intolerant and milk will have a natural laxative effect, just like it will in people that are lactose intolerant.

- You can also try a hairball product such as Laxatone - LINK HERE these are usually petroleum based and will allow for easier passage for the feces.

- Encouraged water/drinking is also recommended as the colon normally reabsorbs water in the body if the patient is dehdyrated, thus making more firm stool that is uncomfortable to pass. If we increase water and hydration, we can then get softer stool that is easier to pass

- Another option is over the counter Miralax, 1/4 teaspoon every 12 hours (LINK HERE)

- Finally, if very concerned you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil. This can be purchased at your local pharmacy. You can give 3ml by mouth every 12 hours in an attempt to relieve the discomfort.

- Your veterinarian can also prescribe a specific medication, "Lactulose" if the signs do not resolve with the recommendations listed above.

I hope this information helps!

Find me any time if needed:

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

thank you

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome.