CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog ate chewed a BIC lighter yesterday. I went home today

My dog ate chewed a BIC lighter yesterday. I went home today and saw spots on the rug that looked light vomit. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Was the plastic ingested of the lighter?

Customer:

I believe a small part of it, less than half

CriticalCareVet :

Do you know what type of lighter this was?

CriticalCareVet :

Butane?

Customer:

A bic lighter, yes

CriticalCareVet :

Most often - with this - we see stomach upset alone.

CriticalCareVet :

I worry more about plastic and a blockage

CriticalCareVet :

Common therapies to consider for stomach upset if seen include:

1) A bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken).

2) With diarrhea, higher fiber diets such as Hill’s W/D or even adding a fiber source such as bran or canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to the normal diet to increase the fiber content to help firm up the stool.

3) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE

CriticalCareVet :

If the vomiting does continue - then I would see your vet for x-rays.

CriticalCareVet :

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site