CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog ate Borax What should I do?

My dog ate Borax
What should I do?

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

When did this happen?

CriticalCareVet :

How much was ingested?

CriticalCareVet :

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer:

She just ate it. Unsure of amount, she was found eating my husband's deer hide in barn which he has covered in borax to soften skin. She weighs about 82 lbs

CriticalCareVet :

So this was just a small amount of powder on the surface?

Customer:

It was a large amount on surface but it appears no big chunks are missing

CriticalCareVet :

Borax has a wide margin of safety - unless a large amount was ingested - illness aside from stomach upset was not expected.

For your dog it would be at least 1-200 grams.

Find me any time if needed: You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site

Customer:

Sadie (dog) is 11.75 years old. she has a hiatal hernia(from wolfing down her food), and cataracts, and takes duomax for arthritis 1/2 tab daily, but is in generally good health.

CriticalCareVet :

ok - good!

Customer:

Generally, what is to be done here? Observe, make her vomit, give her water?

CriticalCareVet :

At this time, observe - there is no "antidote"

Customer:

what should I look for as signs of trouble?

CriticalCareVet :

Stomach upset, vomiting

Customer:

what will a vet then do for her?

CriticalCareVet :

At this time, likely nothing.

CriticalCareVet :

Unless there is a significant amount ingested, which would then lead to kidney failure.

Customer:

So vomiting is still contraindicated given that we know she just ate it?

CriticalCareVet :

I would not induce vomiting - esophageal irritation

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck

Customer:

what about milk?

CriticalCareVet :

Not needed

Customer:

ok, I take it that renal failure is not reversible and that there is no treatment to counter the alkaline that she has ingested?

CriticalCareVet :

Again - For your dog it would be at least 1-200 grams ingested to be a concern, and reported true dose would be 240 grams.

Customer:

Ok, thanks much. I am guessing this dog has eaten worse, and I doubt that she got a toxic dose here. Labs, lead with their stomachs!

CriticalCareVet :

Glad to help.