Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog ate a piece of fabric toy and now will not stop dry

My dog ate a piece of fabric toy and now will not stop dry heaving. She ate it probably about 6 hours ago. She is a 3 year old lab/boxer/border collie mix, weighing aprox 40 pounds of muscle. She does not appear to be in pain when I push on her abdominal area. She has been drinking water, but nothing is coming up when she dry heeves. What can I do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.
Hello.

It sounds like she may have irritated her esophagus with the cloth. This is the more common cause of this gagging/ dry heaving. It's still pretty early for this to cause an obstruction, but that is the biggest concern.

The only way to know for sure what is going on, is to get x-rays taken. This should show the cloth or an obstructive pattern if present.

At home, I would try giving her some bread to eat. This can sometimes push something down if stuck in the esophagus. You will also have more information pointing to obstruction if it just comes right back up.

To help settle her stomach, you can give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine). The dose in dogs is 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours as needed.

If no improvement in the next 6-8 hours, then it's time for x-rays and possibly surgery to remove the cloth. She's a good size dog, so hopefully this will pass on it's own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.