Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

weimaraner: My 7 month..month old..dragging..weak in the hind end

My 7 month old weimaraner had a tumble down a culvert. Three days later, I noticed her dragging her right toes and keeping the foot off the ground. She was weak in the hind end and fell a lot for a couple of days. she has a bump- hard- in her hip area. the vet treated her with anti inflammatories . The xray did not show a fracture. He thought it was a bone bruise. Three weeks later, the hard knot is still there. She runs on the leg fine. Her right leg has lost muscle mass. She does favor the leg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Do you think the limping is getting better or is it staying the same?

When does she favor the leg? When she is walking?

Does it bother her if you press on the bump?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not bother her to press on the lump. the lump is the size of 1/2 a dollar bill. She favors the leg when she is standing not when she is moving. She runs fast and does not seem any slower since the advent of the bump. She uses that leg delicately when she has to scratch herself with it. When she sits- the injured side is not square underneath her as a leg/ hip would normally be square. She holds the foot up when she jumps down out of my car.She does seem to be improving for sure although I believe the lump has not become any smaller. She no longer falls down when she gets up in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 years ago.

I would put her on strict rest. No running, no jumping, and no jumping in and out of cars. She is still injured and it has not healed.

I am tempted to tell you to take her back to the vet, and have it rechecked. I am not sure if it is not healed because there is a serious injury, or she is just being too active. She could have torn a ligament in her hip. Any soft tissue injury such as that would not show up on an x-ray, only bone injuries show up on an x-ray. She is so young it would be a shame to have a serious injury go undiagnosed and cause permanent damage. If nothing else, they could give you more anti inflammatory which I believe she needs.

I would also start to work on reducing the bump. I would put a hot/warm pack on it, for twenty minutes, twice a day. This is to help increase blood flow which will help relax the muscles, increase blood flow, and remove inflammatory toxins. After the hot pack, I would do five minute of gentle massage. Just do little circular motions over the bump. This will also help increase blood flow and help break down scar tissue that is forming.

So until you can get her back to the vet, strict rest. When you are at the vet, if you do not think you can keep her quiet to rest, you can request a mild tranquilizer for her until she is better. To take the edge off for now, you can give her benadryl. This will make her a little sleepy. The dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. Just use the human benadryl.

I hope this helps.