Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog is dry heaving and gagging but nothing is coming up

Customer Question

My dog is dry heaving and gagging but nothing is coming up it has been a couple of days and I am worried help???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-1xhc1mri~

What breed is he?

Could he have eaten anything he shouldn't have?

Does he ever eat toys, towels, socks, ect?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Is he eating, drinking, defecating, urinating normally?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he is a lab puppy and he does chew on about everything his tummy is a little hard it gets worse at night...I at first thought he was going to throw up but he just dry heaves then gags and nothing comes up
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Because he's been attempting to vomit for several days and having no success, combined with the fact he's a lab puppy who is known to eat things, and I have to say...I'm VERY concerned that this could be an intestinal blockage of some sort.

This happens when a dog ingests something that is either too big or too bulky to navigate the loops and turns in the intestines. The object gets stuck and causes all kinds of digestive upset..including a rigid belly, attempting to vomit with no success and lethargy.

I really think that the best thing to do is to get him to an emergency vet today for an x-ray of his digestive tract. This will pinpoint the blockage and help the vet determine if it's something that needs to be surgically removed today. I wouldn't wait though...if you leave it untreated, it could be fatal.

I hope this help.

Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

I forgot to mention...if there is a blockage and it's near enough to the rectum that the vet believes it will pass on it's own, they may suggest feeding high fiber food so that it pushes the blockage through...however, having the x-ray done first is the only way to know how close it is.

Please make sure you hit the green 'accept' button so I get credit for working with you. It won't end our conversation, and I'd appreciate it if you'd come back and let me know what they find.