Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog sounds like she is having trouble breathing through

My dog sounds like she is having trouble breathing through her nose on occasion. Its almost like a nasel moaning sound. I can't take her to the vet for at least another week due to finances, does anyone know what this may be? (its not a reverse sneeze, she had allergies over the spring and I already went through this scare-- this is something different, when she gets cozy and lays down she does it, and sometimes when i pick her up she'll do it in between kisses)

Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-z4hcam9r~

Does it sound like either of these:

What breed is she?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No neither of these. Like I said it is not a reverse sneeze. She is a miniature dachshund. It just sounds like a subtle groan through her nose, almost like she is moaning but through her nose and it will last no more then a few seconds...
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Because I'm not exactly sure what is going on, and because mini Doxies are infamous for having respiratory issues (unfortunately as well as cardiac issues), I do think that having her seen by a vet is something that should be done sooner, rather than later.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

If any of these groups are unable to help you, and you're forced to wait until finances open up, I think as long as you monitor her closely, it should be okay. You're going to want to watch for things like blue tinge to the gums or tongue, or any sort of exaggerated breathing (panting, or acting like she can't get enough breath). If you see anything like that, then she's absolutely going to have to be seen by a vet immediately...but as long as she's not doing any of that, you can monitor her until you can afford to take her in.

I hope this helps.