CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog is throwing up, has chills and drinking lots of water.

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up, has chills and drinking lots of water. He hasn't really eaten much the past 2 days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

With this now going on for 2 days - If you are able to see the veterinarian, that would be best - as an x-ray can make us feel much better - noting that this would not be a blockage.

Sometimes in these cases, even if the cause is just an upset stomach, it is hard to give them medications by mouth as they can vomit that back up before it has a chance to be absorbed and work.

For this reason, if the vomiting continues, sometimes even a short veterinary visit, subcutaneous fluids for hydration and injections for nausea can be enough to stop the cycle of vomiting, help them feel better, and then give you a chance to continue oral medications at home and supportive care to help resolve the issue.

Regardless - when this happens, for an upset stomach - often we choose medications to settle the stomach and help with the discomfort.

For you now, at home - you should remove food and water for 12-24 hours.

If the vomiting stops - considerations would then be:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE).

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

2) Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE

But again - if this is not getting better, or you are noticing loss of appetite, lethargy, continued vomiting, worse signs of discomfort - or blood in the stool - those would be indications to see your veterinarian for evaluation.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you - or you have other questions.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks,

I am taking him to the Vet hospital when it opens this morning.

You are very welcome.

Good luck.