Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog only wants to eat chicken with rice or hamburger meat

my dog only wants to eat chicken with rice or hamburger meat w rice, or can food... i try giving here puppy food and she doesnt want to eat it... is that ok and will that help her milk production?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

No this won't help. Puppies have nutritional requirements that need to be met and if a nursing mother is not getting the proper nutrition, the mother's health will suffer. In addition, it is possible that she may develop eclampsia if she is not fed a proper diet. YOu can read about eclampsia here:

I would try and get her on a high quality puppy food. Many dogs will eat a canned puppy food when they won't eat a dry puppy food. Additionally, you can mix in the current hamburger and chicken in with the puppy food to get her to eat it, but it really is important for her to have the porper nutrition at this point in time as well as the extra calcium.

You could ask your vet to suggest a suitable supplement to feed along with the people food, but feeding a balance diet is the best way to help your girl both in the short time she is nursing as well as for her long term health.

Hope this helps.