Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

how do i get my dog to produce more milk?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been with Just Answer since 2006. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

Increasing fluid intake can help with milk production as can feeding a good high quality puppy food. A dog should be supplied as much food and water as they want when nursing pups. Milk production generally increases as the pups empty the breasts. The more milk consumed by the pups, the more milk that should be produced. That said, there are cases wher the dog doesn't seem to be producing enough milk. The following site discusses the matter as well.

http://www.royalcanin.us/library/lactation-in-dogs.aspx

The best way of ensuring your pups are getting the proper amount of milk is to weigh them on a regular basis. All pups should consistantly be gaining weight. If they are not, then you might want to supplement mom's milk with a puppy formula. In addition, usually the mother starts weaning her puppies at around 3-4 weeks of age. At this point they should be offered a gruel of puppy food soaked in formula or goat's milk. Over the next 2 weeks the amount of formula added to the puppy food is decreased and fresh water is offered. They will still nurse off their mother just not as much. Puppies should be eating puppy food by 6-8 weeks of age and stay on puppy food until they are a year old at least. If you still have question, just reply.

Hope this helps.