CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog seems to have a really itchy nose. He frequently rubs

My dog seems to have a really itchy nose. He frequently rubs his nose on the couch or carpet to get relief. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) What breed is your dog?

2) Is there any discharge from the nose?

3) Coughing or sneezing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My dog is a mixed breed, and neither the vet nor the groomer has been able to nail down what he is. The best guess is a XXXXX XXXXX with some other type of terrier. He is 17 lbs.

No discharge from the nose.

No coughing. Occasional sneezes. Usually sneezes after rubbing his nose in the carpet or couch.
We can certainly see similar signs with a rhinitis or sinusitis (LINK HERE).

Often in these cases we consider treatments such as steroids (Prednisone - LINK HERE) or antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE).

More serious signs would be a concern if there was nasal discharge (white, yellow, or green more specifically)
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.