Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog has been having difficulty walking, his is back i hunched

My dog has been having difficulty walking, his is back i hunched up, heavy breathing, and whimpering. His stomach is taut and a bit bloated. I took him to the emergency vet yesterday - they did an x-ray and determined he does not have bloat. I can't figure out if it's his stomach or his back that is hurting him. I purchased pain killers and Pepcid from the vet, but I don't want to give him anything that he does not need.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

What breed dog do you have?

What type of diet are you feeding?

Did the dog do any activity before this happenen?

Did They do any spinal X rays?

Was blood work done?

Is he limping?

What pain medication was given?

What is the dogs weight?

How much Pepcid did they tell you to give?

Can the dog walk up and down stairs without hesitation?

Is the dog crated or free roaming the house?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your response.

What breed dog do you have?
- He's a lab mix, about 85 lbs.

What type of diet are you feeding?
- He typically eats Science Diet for sensitive stomachs. Last night I bought some canned food to mix with his dry food so it is easier on his stomach. We usually give him about 1 cup of dry dog food, 3 x a day. I fill up his bowl with the cup of food and the rest water. He was hospitalized last year because he was vomiting with a little blood and he was also really dehydrated. Adding water to his food has been my way of ensuring he receives enough water each day.

- I usually take him on a walk/slow jog every day or every other day. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Did They do any spinal X rays?
- Yes, they mentioned something about bridging in his back

Is he limping?
- He is not limping but once he lays down, it takes him a lot to get up. He's been sort of scooting his way around his bed to get the traction/energy to get up. When he walks, he is hunched over and it looks painful. He's been also walking to the back bedroom to hide.

What pain medication was given?
- Tramadol. Recommended dose: 3 tabs every 6-12 hrs. In the past 24 hrs I have given him 8 tabs with a little bit of canned dog food. But this does not seem to have alleviated his pain. I also need to confirm that this does not contain aspirin as he is not allowed to have aspirin b/c of his sensitive stomach.

What is the dogs weight?
- 83.90 lbs

- 20 mg. every 12 hrs. They also prescribed Prilosec but when I went to the drug store to purchase, I saw that they are pretty much the same thing so I purchased Gas-X instead because it said that antacid medicine does not eliminate gas. I've given him 1 Pepcid and 1 Gas-x in the past 24 hrs.

- No, it's been very difficult for him to get up, walk, go down the steps, and it looks painful for him to move.

- Free roaming and we also have a backyard that he has open access to whenever he wants to go outside.
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

I tend to agree with the Vet about the back and being a spinal issue. The problem with spinal issues is that they can radiate around to the abdominal area. The Pepcid AC is very good and will help protect teh stomach. I would stay away from the Gas X for now.

Tramadol does not contain Aspirin and is a very safe pain medication in to comparaison to many others on the market: http://tramadoluspharmacy.com/ingredients.html

I would stop the free roaming at this point and take him out on a leash and bring him back inside and have him crated or keep him in a smaller area where his activity can be limited. I would start with Heat pack(you can make a rice sock by placing uncooked rice in a sock, tieing it off, warming it in the microwave and wrapping in a towel) and apply it to the spine to help relieve the pain. With a problem like this we address it with rest, heat and pain medication. He is an older boy, so arthritis may also be an issue rearing its ugly head.

As for the stomach issue, you can try a bland diet by boiling skinless chicken breast 1 part to 3 parts white rice. This will allow the stomach to rest. The bland diet along with the Pepcid should help any stomach issues.

The key right now is to limit any activity. You can use a towel underneath the abdomen to help him get up and down moer easily. I would have the dog see a Veterinary Neurologist or Orthopedist to confirm the spinal issues. They may considet giving a steroid shot to help relieve inflammation if this is a spinal issue.

Again even with pain medication limited activity will be a big help with what is happening. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the above recommended.