ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My 9 ur old chihuahua has had diarhea and has been throwing

My 9 ur old chihuahua has had diarhea and has been throwing up for 3 day. Hardly making and drinking minimal water. Any ideas as to What this may be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is not feeling well :(. Bear with me, I have a few questions.

Is your dog taking any medications to treat any long term illnesses?

Does she have any history of similar symptoms?

Before she started feeling badly, did she get into the garbage or was she given any people food?

Has she lost weight?

Is her abdomen tense or distended?

When was the last time she ate for you?

Let me know and I will try to help....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No history of past illness. Did give a little Peoples food but we always give her a little.Shes spoiled rotten. Gave her a pig ear the day before symptoms started but she's had then b4 and not reacted badly. She's eaten very little the past few days. Kinda just keeps to herself and alwaya a lot. I think shes had 2 milkbones( the little ones with marrow in the middle).

Thank you for the additional information. I am very concerned about your dog, and there are several things that might be going on with her. First thing that comes to mind is that she has developed a pancreatitis, maybe in response to the people food or the pigs ear. I realize that she has never had any problems with either of those things before, but this is still a possibility that needs to be considered. Pancreatitis can be very painful, and can be life threatening. It can occur as a result of dietary indiscretion, or it can be secondary to another disease process like diabetes or diseases of the adrenal glands. Sometimes pancreatitis occurs for no discernible reason at all, and in these instances it is referred to as idiopathic pancreatitis. Please see the following website for more information.

Your dog is a little older now, and her symptoms might be the sign of an illness that more commonly affects dogs as they age. Most commonly, dogs are afflicted by things like kidney disease, diabetes, cancer of hypothyroidism. It's important to understand, though, that without the benefit of a physical exam and diagnostic test results, it's very difficult to narrow down the list for you. It is quite possible that she is experiencing an illness that I have not mentioned.

What has me concerned most is that she is not interested in food and is not taking in normal amounts of water. She is vomiting and has diarrhea, and is likely dehydrated. A small dog will become dehydrated faster than a larger dog, and after 3 days of these symptoms, your dog probably feels pretty yucky. This is beyond something you can treat at home. Since she is nauseated, you cannot give her anything by mouth. She needs to see a vet, and she needs some blood tests and maybe some x-rays to try and figure out what is going on with her. I suspect that she may need to be hospitalized and put on iv fluids, and that some iv anti-nausea meds will be needed to get her vomiting/nausea under control. I think the best thing you can do for her is take her to an emergency hospital today. Hopefully you will get her there before she becomes any more ill, and you might be able to avoid hospitalization. Unfortunately, the longer it takes to have her seen by a vet, the more difficult and expensive it will be to make her feel better. Her symptoms are not going to go away on their own, and will only continue to get worse. Please try to have her seen ASAP and let me know if I can be of further assistance. Best of luck with your dog, I hope she feels better soon and that nothing too serious is going on.