ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

I have a 1 1/2 year old golden retriever I have noticed in

Customer Question

I have a 1 1/2 year old golden retriever I have noticed in the past three days a little white spot on the left side of his nose and I just noticed a small lump on his left leg. I'm going to take him to the vet on monday but any idea what it could be to ease my mind
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry you're so worried. First and foremost, as long as your dog is eating, drinking, playing and acting normally, he is not emergently ill. The white spot on the side of his nose could be anything from a pigment change (VERY common and normal) to a topical reaction to something he came into contact with while playing and exploring. Depending on if it is raised or tender, it could be a scab or a small growth (not necessarily anything cancerous). If the white spot is on his muzzle and is actually an area of hair loss, this could be due to anything from a puncture, abrasion, mange or ringworm. There are so many different things it could be, it's tough to speculate and I'm concerned that doing so will just make you more nervous.

The bump on his leg could also be many different things, ranging from a bug bite to a contusion sustained while playing. Since you are worried, have him seen by his vet when they open. Monitor his appetite and activity level. If anything changes, consider seeing an emergency vet. Otherwise, try not to worry and hug your handsome golden man :)

Good luck with your pup.......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not really give me a good enough reason not to worry thx though
That's the downfall of this kind of forum. Honestly, if you are that worried, take him to an emergency vet and put your mind at ease. You know him best, XXXXX XXXXX to trust your judgement. Good luck with your dog.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to know if he could be getting reaction from his annual vaccination its in that back right leg he got it done same area. Mind you it was 10 days ago bbut could that explain the white spot on his nose?
The bump on the leg can definitely be related to his vaccine. A localized swelling at the site of injection is a t typical way the body responds to the vaccine. It is not likely that the vaccine is responsible for the white spot on his nose, and the two are probably unrelated.