Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

How much should a 15 pound dog eat?

How much should a 15 pound dog eat?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-s8724l1a~

A good rule of thumb for feeding is 1 cup of food per 30 pounds of ideal body weight for the dog. So if his 'perfect' weight is 10 pounds, he should be getting about 1/3 - 1/2 of a cup of food PER DAY...not per feeding. That adds up to about 275KCal per day for a 15 pound dog.

That means if you're doing timed feedings it's about 1/4 cup in the morning and the same in the evening. Adding the cottage cheese is fine but I'd add a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon.

As for treats...no more than one or two per day. Think of treats as McDonald's...you wouldn't eat Chicken McNuggets constantly because they're not good for you..same goes for dogs and treats.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He should be 15, closer to 18 or 19. Could this be why he pants a lot now too?
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely. Just like it's harder work for an overweight human to move around, it's just as hard for an overweight dog to move around. Also, overweight dogs tend to be warmer, and it makes their hearts pump harder..which could explain the panting.