CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has elevated liver enzymes (ALT and SAP). We assumed

My dog has elevated liver enzymes (ALT and SAP). We assumed this was some kind of poisoning from a Made in China chicken jerky treat we've been feeding her (just found out about this), however she plays a lot with the dog next store whose stools are WHITE. Is there something contagious she may have caught from him that would cause this? She was sick for a few days with diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, and excessive drinking when this all started. She is acting fine now, but the doctor wants to put her on Amoxicillin and Flagyl. Wondering if there is something else we might be missing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Possible causes include for these liver value elevations include:

- Hepatocellular injury (injury to the liver cells) / Toxin
- Infection / Inflammation (LINK HERE)
- Neoplasia

There are several ways to proceed:

1) Conservative route - medical therapy and time.

Medications to discuss with your veterinarian would include Denosyl, Denamarin (LINK HERE), or Milk thistle as examples (LINK HERE). This are medications to help the liver.

Yes - I would also agree - some even start medications such as metronidazole and amoxicillin (antibiotics) in case there is an early hepatitis.

Use the medications for several weeks (2-3) and then repeat bloodwork.

If still elevated, and you wanted to be proactive, I would then consider an abdominal ultrasound.

The other option is to get an ultrasound now to further evaluate the liver to see if a more specific cause can be found with this non-invasive test.

Please let me know if this helps clarify this for you.
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet