Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My dog swallowed a plastic squeaker about 2 weeks ago. He is

My dog swallowed a plastic squeaker about 2 weeks ago. He is eating and having no problem with going to the bathroom. He is also very playful and has lots of energy. However, he is throwing up almost every morning about the same time and nothing but liquid is coming up. Do I continue to wait or see a vet? He has done this in the past and eventually thrown it up.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

Sally Grott :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. have you seen any of the squeaker come out in either the stool or emisis?

Sally Grott :

vomit

Sally Grott :

are you there?

Sally Grott :

Hello, your alternate information just came through.

Customer:

no sign of anything

Sally Grott :

Two weeks is a long time not to see any part of the squeaker so a vet visit is a good idea for an x ray. It may be a small piece lodged in the stomach that is not passing through or there could be a piece irritating the lining of the stomach

Customer:

could that be why he throws up every morning

Sally Grott :

if what you are seeing is bile (stomach acid) and not actual food then he may just have a bit of acid reflux in which you can try some pepcid before bedtime I will get you information on this with dosing. However you don't want to mask sypmtoms either if the squeaker is at the route of the problem. Feeding small meals throughout the day will help with reflux as well rather than one big meal

Sally Grott :

If you have been watching his stool and know nothing came out then it is worth seeing your vet

Customer:

ok....thank you. what is the dosage for the pepcid for my dog who weighs 65 lbs

Sally Grott :

it is listed in the site I sent you here is the quote from this site.The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.

Sally Grott :

that would be per pound of the dogs body weight

Customer:

thank you

Sally Grott :

you are most welcome, can I help you further?

Customer:

I guess thats all for now.

Sally Grott :

Have a wonderful New Year:)

Customer:

thank you..Happy New Year

Sally Grott :

If you are pleased with the answer you can press accept to close out the question if you need more help just hit reply:)

Sally Grott :

hello are you there?

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.