CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Why does my dog lick and bite at her butt? She has been doing

Why does my dog lick and bite at her butt? She has been doing it for 3 days now. I give her monthly heart worm pills. Doesn't that cover other types of worms too? She has been spayed. She is a shar-pei mix.
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!

Thank you for the request!

We can see this for several causes:

- A colitis / inflammation of the rectum

- Parasites / Worms

- Allergies as well

With that said, anal gland inflammation can also do this.

If the stools are abnormal, having them checked would be a good idea.

If the signs continue, t
o diagnose this, your veterinarian can perform a rectal examination and attempt to feel and express the anal sacs (LINK HERE)

PLEASE let me know if I can clarify any of the above information for you!
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with For CriticalCareVet