CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My vet recommended Robitussin DM for my dogs cough. Is Rite

My vet recommended Robitussin DM for my dog's cough.
Is Rite Aid Tussin DM a safe substitute for Robitussin DM for dogs?
If so, what dosage should I give a 55 lb dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Dextromethorphan (link here) can be used in dogs.

Often before using cough medications, x-rays are used to make sure that there is not a primary or secondary pneumonia as cough medications slow down the treatment of pneumonia.

But yes - this can be used in dogs.

I hope this information is helpful
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Please click (HERE) for important information.