Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...

Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

what is the recovery signs - of- parvo? and if my puppy recover

what is the recovery signs - of- parvo? and if my puppy recover is he get it again ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 3 years ago.
I am Dr. Devlin and I am a Board Certified Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice.

Parvovirus is a very serious and often fatal virus of dogs.

Signs of parvovirus include depression/lethargy, abdominal pain, weakness, vomiting, and diarrhea. Often, the diarrhea and vomiting is profuse. The diarrhea is typically hemorrhagic (reddish brown) and has a foul odor.

Because other illnesses can cause diarrhea and vomiting, and because puppies can rapidly become dehydrated from gastrointestinal upset, please see your veterinarian asap.

I have seen some cases of parvo present with NO vomiting or diarrhea, just lethargy and loss of appetite.

If a dog/puppy has parvo and recovers, they will have immunity from parvo, and will not become sick with parvovirus again.

Here is more info:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=581&SourceID=

I hope your little one does not have this disease. Please keep us posted and best wishes.

Reply back if I can help further, but please see your vet immediately if your puppy is showing these symptoms.
Sincerely,
Dr. Laura
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Dr,

yeh I knew about this killer parvo, I took him to the vet and as I told you he in vet hospital from two days... the day he start the vomiting and dirreah... as i know that parvo could kill the dogs....

I was asking the recovery signs from the paro?

means how the puppy will look like? how will act?

In the treatment, when the puppy will start to eat again? and what he should eat? how long will take to recover?

I want to know if my puppy will survive or not???

Oh, I misunderstood. For some reason the only information I have from you is this:

"what is the recovery signs - of- parvo? and if my puppy recover is he get it again ??"

I'm so sorry if there was more - it didn't come through. I understand now what you were asking.

Here's what happens in the cases that recover:

The vomiting and diarrhea stop
The dog does not develop a high fever OR very low temperature
The dog/pup begins to get more active/more energy - may start moving around more, show interest in chewing - such as on the IV line, etc

All blood work starts returning to normal - it's important to follow blood work, but sometimes this is expensive and not repeated

It's worth mentioning that unexpected complications can occur - such as a bowel twisting - which can be highly fatal, unfortunately. Also, because the immune system is compromised, a secondary infection can occur until the white blood count recovers... These, unfortunately, can worsen rapidly, in several hours. It's impossible to predict in which cases these complications can occur.

I have had puppies hospitalized anywhere from 2 days to 7 days before they begin eating. Some cases have required plasma transfusions.

Some pups/dogs do not begin eating readily after parvo, and it may take several days of encouraging them to eat after they have recovere from the vomiting and diarrhea. It's best to keep them in the hospital on fluids until they are eating readily.

Until the dogs are improving clinically - brighter, more energy, and until labwork is showing improvement, they can still , unfortunately, not recover.

It's hard to predict - certainly larger dogs/puppies tend to do better, and if you start treatment early in the disease course, the outcome may be better. I'm a big believer in plasma transfusions of the protein is low - but this can be several hundred dollars just for the transfusion.

I hope and pray he will recovery quickly.

Once they begin eating, expect good recovery in about a week.

Sincerely,
Dr Laura
Experience: DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much Dr. Laura

very helpful information

I am praying for him to recover too, he is 3months Cute Havanes white and gold puppy and i really want him back home soon...

I will do my best level to give him the necessary treatment.

Best regards,

Raia