Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

My dog is growing hair/thorn like bristles on his pads... The

My dog is growing hair/thorn like bristles on his pads... The ones on the main pads r short and seem fine.. But the one on the pad half way up his arm are really long. Any idea what this might be? I have posted a link of something that looks similar but not quite as severe....

http://bullmarketfrogs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/img_5413.jpg

Any idea of what this could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 5 years ago.
I am Dr. Devlin and I am a Board Certified Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice.

Poor nutrition could be a factor,leading to zinc deficiency. If a lower quality or store brand was fed, that should be investigated. A zinc-methionine supplement should be started.

Hepatocutaneous syndrome can have this appearance, so best to have a chemistry panel evaluated.

Split-pad disease typically causes cracking, not hyperkeratosis.

If other skin is affected, or growths are noted of skin, face, or the mucous membranes in the mouth, or tongue, than viral papilloma would be most likely.

I would recommend consulting your veterinarian. This condition can be painful and worsen, so diagnosis - which ultimately may require a biopsy - will be needed.

Best luck,
Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is hyperkeratosis contagious to other dogs and humans? This dog hasnt been eating like he shld. Recently switched his dogfood because he wouldnt eat and was getting sick looking.
That is a very good question. No, none of the conditions I mentioned would be contagious to other humans, but viral papillomas and some causes of liver disease (hepatitis) can be spread to other dogs.

The hyperkeratosis you are seeing is just a symptom of an underlying problem, and until that is diagnosed and addressed, the abnormal footpads will persist and likely worsen.

I am concerned that he isn't eating well and looks sickly. There is probably another disorder/disease process, and it would be best to have him evaluated by your veterinarian. After they perform a complete exam, I would request that they test a fecal examination and a chemistry panel and CBC to rule out liver disease.

If you can, can you let me know what happens? I am praying he is going to be ok. I know you are concerned about him.
Sincerely,
Laura Devlin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more thing.. I found that growths on dogs paws can be caused by hookworms is this true? And would this affect him in this way? (Poor Appetite, Skinny, and Growths on Pads).
Yes, although with hookworms we would expect to see dermatitis of the feet and in between the toes, significant itchiness, and often cracking of the pads. This didn't sound like your description, but just in case I included having your vet run a fecal panel in my list of recommendations (see the previous post).

Great research!

Please let me know how it goes, and what you find out. I hope it is something easily treatable.

Sincerely,
Dr. Devlin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Me too.. tyvm