Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.

My dog got up this morning and was walking sideways and then

My dog got up this morning and was walking sideways and then his back legs collasped. This has never happened before, he is a big dog and will be 10 in April. He went and layed in his spot under the table and is sleeping now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

RebeccaVet :

Hi JACustomer,

RebeccaVet :

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

RebeccaVet :

Are his back legs working now?

RebeccaVet :

Is he eating and drinking normally?

RebeccaVet :

Any vomiting at all?

RebeccaVet :

Does he have any arthritis problems? Is he on any medication?

RebeccaVet :

There are many things that could cause him to collapse: pain, a problem with his spine, a sudden loss of balance we seen in older dogs called "vestibular syndrome". If he has vestibular syndrome, his eyes would be twitching rythmically from side to side (called "nystagmus"), and the good news is that vestibular syndrome, although it has no known cause or cure, usually gets better after a few days or so.

Customer:

I just took him outside he is walking normal and just gave him some food and he is eating. No vomiting.

RebeccaVet :

That is all good news.

Customer:

I just took him outside and he is walking normal and I fed him some food and he ate ot. No vomiting.

RebeccaVet :

He could have had a twinge or spasm in his back, causing him to go down. After some rest, and getting the muscles to relax, he would seem better.

RebeccaVet :

Without being able to see and examine him, I can't tell you for sure what is wrong. \

RebeccaVet :

I would check his gums to be sure they are a normal pink color.

RebeccaVet :

I would check his eyes for the nystagmus or twitching I mentioned.

RebeccaVet :

If this happens again, I would have his veterinarian check him out: check his reflexes, joints, back, etc.

Customer:

I have him on natural meds. elk antlers and perma mussel and msm.

RebeccaVet :

Those are all great for arthritis. I also like fish oil for its anti inflammatory properties.

RebeccaVet :

Elk antler, MSM and Perma mussel all help with joint mobility by keeping the joints lubricated, but none of them do anything for pain or inflammation.

RebeccaVet :

Fish oil does have anti inflammatory properties.

RebeccaVet :

White willow bark and devils claw will help with inflammation.

RebeccaVet :

There is a great herbal product called DGP or Doggone Pain that I have had good results with.

Customer:

I do have omega 3 gel caps, in the past giving him fish oil he's allegeric to it.

RebeccaVet :

You could try the DGP, or try flax seed oil for Omega 3 rather than fish oil.

Customer:

Do you get the DGP at a health store?

RebeccaVet :

I usually get it online (cheaper) but it is sold at pet stores.

RebeccaVet :

Some vets offices carry it as well.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your time and for your answers, I feel better now that he's gone outside and isn't showing, his eyes seem normal, his gums are dark in color.

RebeccaVet :

That all sounds great to me.

RebeccaVet :

Any more questions I can answer?

RebeccaVet :

If so, please ask.

RebeccaVet :

If not, please consider accepting so the website credits me for my advice.

RebeccaVet :

Good luck with him, Rebecca

Customer:

What about his gums being dark in color, he really doesn't have pink gums

RebeccaVet :

What kind of dog is he? Many breeds have pigment on their gums and will even have gums that are black in color.

Customer:

He is akita mix and he does have black gums

RebeccaVet :

Then it will be hard to assess if he is normal pink or not. Try looking at the pink membrane under his eye.

RebeccaVet :

That may be pigmented, as well in this breed.

RebeccaVet :

Anything else I can answer? How is he doing now?

RebeccaVet :

Let me know if you have more questions at all.

RebeccaVet :

If not, please consider accepting my advice. Rebecca

Customer:

It's pink and he's resting, he seems to be O.K. Thank you again for everything. God bless you.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.