Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

what is the fastest way to get dog to put on weight

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.Each answer is typed individually so please allow me a few minutes after your reply.

How much weight do you want to put on the dog and what type of food are you feeding?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he weights about 50 pds he is very tall you can see his ribs but not horrable. i just got him yesterday from a rescue she was feedind him some cheap dog feed from dollars store. she gave me some because i didnt want to upset his tummy by switching it fast
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. One of the first things I would suggest if it has not been done already is deworming him. I would then slowly transition to a good dog food. Look at the feeding guide on the bag and feed the recommended amount for a 60lb dog. The key is to put weight on slowly. If when he reaches 60 lbs he is still not to a good weight then you would go up to the 70lb mark.

I would not add in anything extra just feeding the proper amount of food and deworming will put the weight on

I hope this helps
Candy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you were answering this and a another question. what is the best dog food for him? he is a lab. how much to feed him and how many times a day?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
here is another question how much is a 1year lab suppose to weigh.
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
I gave you a list of good foods as well as which I think is the best on that question.

Most males will weigh between 60-75lbs some can reach close to 100 depending on the build of the dog