Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

Is concentrated cherry juice dangerous for cats? My cat has

Is concentrated cherry juice dangerous for cats? My cat has arthritis, and there is evidence that cherry juice has anti-inflammatory benefits.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 4 years ago.
I am Dr. Devlin and I am a Board Certified Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that your cat has arthritis. Does she have any other health problems or take any other medications? What is her name by the way, and how much does she weigh? Also, can you tell me the strength of the product you were considering for the cherry juice( if you have one in mind).

I'll be standing by to help further.

Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Devlin - thanks for taking my question. My cat is Emily and she is 19 years old. Emily weighs 9.5 lbs. Especially with the cold weather, Emily's arthritis gets worse. When she walks, her back legs look stiff.

She also has kidney disease, but it is under control with diet. She eats wet kd food by science diet, also the dry food.

The product is King Orchard's Concentrated Cherry Juice. http://kingorchards.com/health.htm

My understanding is that there are not many treatments available for cats with arthritis. I would just like to ease her pain some.

Thanks,
Wendy
Hi Wendy,
Thank you so much for the additional information. It really does help.

Emily is a sweet name. 19 years is a wonderfully long time to have had her by your side. Please give her some pets for me.

Yes, you are correct. With arthritis in cats we are limited. The cosequin is very good, and a fish oil supplement (nordic naturals or welactin are my favorites) has been shown to be beneficial for both osteoarthritis and kidney disease. Adequan injections can also help but I do use this with caution in kidney patients.

I did a VIN search for cherry toxicity in felines and was unable to find anything. I do not know if it would be helpful or not, and given her kidney disease, I would probably hesitate to use it, since we do not want to potentially exacerbate her condition. I would add the fish oil, and would consider if possible seeing if your vet can prescribe tramadol to give her in bad days. It tastes butter, so we have our pharmacist place the sections of pills in tiny capsules, and give that way.

I hope this helps, and if you need more help please let me know.
Sincerely,
Laura

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!!
So sorry, I meant bitter. Auto correct! You are welcome.